How to Get Access
Requesting Access to Banner, Cognos, Degree Works, and 25Live
Access is granted to faculty, staff, and student employees who need access to student information to fulfill responsibilities as outlined in their job description. Access to production data will only be granted to those who have completed required training.
Click on the image below for visual instruction.
Scroll to the bottom of the page for information on how to Add a Role, Remove a Role, and special considerations for granting access to Banner and Degree Works.
1. Visit the Training section of this site to find the role(s) that best describe your job responsibilities.
If you need access to edit the Admissions Decision (SAADCRV) page in Banner you must obtain approval first from Undergraduate Admissions by submitting the Banner Systems Access Request - SAADCRV Edit Access in Workfront.
2. Go to Student Information System (SIS) Service Request in ServiceLink If you do not have an active CAS session, you may be prompted to enter your UCR credentials before proceeding. In the Category drop down, choose System Access.
3. Complete the required fields. Enter a brief request description in the Short Description line. Examples include “New Request for Joe Smith” or “Modification to Joe Smith’s access.”
4. Fill out the specific user access requirements. All fields with a red asterisk are required.
Enter the following information (numbered on screenshot):
Net ID and supervisor information will automatically be filled in based on the User Name field. For more information on Net ID, visit ServiceLink.
5. Indicate the details of the access request (numbered on screenshot):
Once access to Banner has been established, the request will be closed. The user must complete all required training.
Student employees should email a copy of the Statement of FERPA Understanding to email@example.com.
Add Additional Access
To add a role to your access, fill out the form as you would for a new request and make a note in the Additional Information that describes the additional access you need.
Remove a Role or Access
- If an UCR employee transfers departments, submit a request to revoke access as job duties of the new position may vary.
- If an UCR employee is separated from UCR, system access is automatically revoked through Enterprise Access Control System (EACS).
Staff and faculty who do not have access to Banner may also request access to Cognos by following the same steps outlined above. Check "Cognos" in the "Choose systems for access/removal from the list below" section and describe the reports folders you need to access.
Access is granted based on a combination of job responsibilities, your organization, and/or your department.
If your primary Banner role is…
Assigned to Degree Works role…
|Academic Advisor Assistant||View Only With Notes - VWN||AFST||ETST||LLFR||RLST|
|Academic Advisor College||Undergraduate College Advisor - ADV||ALC||GBST||LLGS||RUSN|
|Academic Advisor Major - Graduate||Graduate Major Advisor - GRM||ANLW||GEOL||LLLN||SPN|
|Academic Advisor Major - Undergraduate||Undergraduate Major Advisor - ADVX||ANTH||GEPH||LNST||STAT|
|Academic Advisor Major - Undergraduate who advise for majors listed to the right||Undergraduate Major Adv (AA) - ADVA||ASST||GESC||MATH||SUST|
|Academic Coordinator||View Only With Notes - VWN||AST||GSST||MCBL||WMST|
|Academic Counselor||View Only With Notes - VWN||BIOL||HIST||MEIS|
|Academic Enrollment Managers||View Only With Notes - VWN||CCST||HASS||MTSS|
|Academic Learning Community Coordinator||View Only With Notes - VWN||CHEM||HSAT||MUCU|
|Admissions Articulation Maintenance||View Only Without Notes - VO||CLA||HSLW||NTST|
|Admissions Counselors||View Only Without Notes - VO||CMDB||LBST||PHIL|
|Graduate Division Management||Graduate College Advisor - GRC||CPAC||LING||PHYS|
|Graduate Division Student Workers
*requires approval of Director of Academic Affairs in Graduate Division
|Graduate Major Advisor - GRM||CRWT||LLCP||PLBL|
|Registrar Academic Scheduling and Courses||View Only Without Notes - VO|
|Registrar Curriculum/Degree Audit Mgmt||Registrar - REG|
|Registrar Management||Registrar - REG|
|Registrar Records and Registration||View Only With Notes - VWN|
|Registrar Student Workers||View Only With Notes - VWN|
|Z: Athletic Compliance||View Only With Notes - VWN|
|Z: HOSS||View Only With Notes - VWN|
Policies and Regulations
California and the United States
- California Information Practices Act of 1977 (IPA)
- Federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA)
University of California
- Electronic Communications Policy, August 2005
- Policies Applying to Campus Activities, Organizations and Students, October 2009
University of California, Riverside